Articles Tagged with

Tax Return

Home / Tax Return
UTR Number
Tax Accountancy

UTR Number (Unique Tax Reference Number)

What is a UTR number?

Unique Tax Reference numbers, more commonly known as UTR’s are 10-digit codes that uniquely identify you or your business. Not everyone has a UTR number, but if you are carrying out self-employed work then you will need to register for one as soon as possible. The 10-digit number will be used by HMRC when dealing with your tax, you will not be able to submit a tax-return or claim a refund without one.
UTR numbers are especially necessary for CIS (construction industry scheme) tax refund registration, without a valid UTR number, your self-assessment tax return won’t be submitted correctly and this can result in a potential fine.

Why do I need a UTR number

The only people who need UTR numbers are those who file Self-Assessment tax returns.
If you do file self-assessment tax returns, you need a UTR number so that:
1. HMRC can monitor your tax obligations
HMRC will use this reference to track your tax obligations, which could help you also get a tax refund if you’ve overpaid your tax.
2. You can file tax returns
You’ll need it for your 2019/2020 self assessment tax return if you’re self employed.
3. You can partner with accountants
Accountants like Rebate My Tax Ltd will need to know your UTR to help with your filings and financial affairs.


How do I get my UTR number?

You are automatically sent a UTR number when you register for self-assessment, you should receive the number in the post from HMRC within 3-4 weeks. If you have yet to register for self-assessment and need your UTR number to submit a return, you can use this easy form on our website to apply for one here.

In order to register for your UTR number, you’ll need to provide:
• Your full name
• Your current address
• Your National Insurance Number
• Your date of birth
• Your phone number
• Your email address
• The date that your self-employment began
• The type of business you’re starting
• The address of your business
• The phone number for your business

What happens if I cannot locate my UTR number?

If you have lost your UTR number, you do not need to panic, your UTR should be quoted on any of the following documents listed below from HMRC.
• Your SA250, or your “welcome to self-assessment” letter
• Previous self-assessment tax returns
• Reminders of payment
• Your notice to file a tax return
• Your statement of account
If you do not have any of the above letter’s then you can call HMRC directly and they will again send your UTR number via post.


Still can’t find your UTR number?


Then visit this HMRC site for more info on how to get your UTR number


The importance of registering for a UTR:

If you are working as self-employed and have not notified HMRC – and have therefore not received a UTR number – this can be dangerous. If HMRC find out, you may have to pay a hefty fine and potentially face criminal prosecution, that is why it is important to apply for a UTR number as soon as you carry out any self-employed work. It is also important as your accountant that we have your correct UTR number, as we will use your unique number to track work carried out and claim back the maximum refund for you.
If you require any more information regarding your UTR number please contact us via phone, email or whatsapp.

Need more help with a UTR number?

Get in touch and we can try and help you further. CONTACT US TODAY



Tax Code
Tax Accountancy

Understand Your PAYE (Pay As You Earn) Tax Code

HMRC Pay As You Earn (PAYE)  Tax Codes

Your tax code is used by your employer or pension provider to work out how much Income Tax to take from your pay or pension, you will be able to see your tax code on your payslip provided by your employer. It is a good idea to check you are currently on the right tax code as it will determine the amount of Pay As You Earn (PAYE)  tax you are charged on your salary.

Every tax code is made up of letters and numbers. The number 1250, for example, should reflect how much tax-free pay you are allowed to earn in each tax year – as a general guide, you need to multiply the number by 10 to get the total amount of income you can earn each year before being taxed. If your tax code is 1250 then you will not pay tax on the first £12,500 earned on your salary.

The amount of tax you are due to pay can be affected by your tax-free allowance, these can include

  • Pensions contributions
  • Personal Allowance
  • Gifts to Charity
  • Blind persons allowance
  • Interest payments on qualifying loans


You can read about the certain payments that can reduce the amount of tax you pay here

If you notice your tax code has changed, this could be for any of the following reasons

  • If you have started a new job, your new employer may not have received your P45 yet, this will trigger an emergency tax code. Once the employer has the P45 your code will then be adjusted and the right amount of tax deducted.
  • If there is a change in your income, if your income increases or decreases there can be a change in your tax-free allowance.
  • State benefits such as employment and support allowance, state pension, widows pension etc can affect how much income you receive on your payslip, if you stop and start these benefits they can affect your tax code.
  • Benefits from your employment such as private health care, car allowance, if you opt in and out of these benefits then this again can affect your tax code and pay.


You will usually receive a PAYE code notice in the post from HMRC if your tax code is updated, always carefully check that these details implement your current tax-free allowance.

HMRC will need to be contacted if you believe your tax code is wrong, as this means you could have either underpaid or overpaid in tax. In the case where you have underpaid, HMRC will bill you for the amount owed, with an over payment they will either adjust your tax code so that you pay less tax and receive more wages or sometimes if it is for a previous tax year they will pay you the amount owed in full into your bank account.

As a client of Rebate My Tax we will be the ones to contact HMRC for you regarding any issues with your tax code. We pride ourselves on taking any stress away from our clients, whilst giving the most professional 5* service.

If you require more information on tax codes, please contact us directly. You can also check out the different types of tax codes here





Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy
Consent to display content from Youtube
Consent to display content from Vimeo
Google Maps
Consent to display content from Google
Consent to display content from Spotify
Sound Cloud
Consent to display content from Sound

Biggin Hill,
Westerham, TN16 3TP

WordPress Image Lightbox Plugin
Need Help Chat With Us